Consul General Prakash Gupta paid an official visit to Lianyungang (Jiangsu) on April 13, 2017 and interacted with Mr. Xiang Xuelong, Mayor of Lianyungang Municipal People’s Government to discuss ways and means to further deepen economic and cultural cooperation between India and Lianyungang.
2. During the meeting with Mayor Xiang Xuelong, Consul General shared details of investment opportunities available to companies from Lianyungang in India, as part of the Make in India initiative, and requested Lianyungang city leadership to lead an investors’ delegation to visit India in the first half of 2018. A proposal to organize a Business Forum focusing on marine products / maritime industry along with an India Culture Week was also submitted to Lianyungang city leadership for their consideration. Both sides also discussed plans to organize a large scale 3rd International Day of Yoga Event in Lianyungang in 2017.
3. Consul General also requested Lianyungang leadership, that given the port city’s locational advantage, city government could consider offering a retail warehousing space to Carpet Export Promotion Council of India (CEPC), who had been seeking such a strategically located port facility, for establishing their distribution network in China. It may be noted that an Indian Products Display Center is likely to be set up in operation near the Lianyungang Customs Bonded Zone facility before May 2017. The initiative to open an Indian products entry hub cum display center at Lianyungang has been taken by a private Indian entrepreneur in partnership with CCPIT Lianyungang.
4. Earlier in the day, Consul General also visited SUNRAIN SOLAR Company, which specializes in providing green energy solutions, especially using solar energy and solar walls. The SUNRAIN Group had been exporting their products to India and during the meeting, Consul General encouraged their Chairman to aggressively explore options to set up a manufacturing unit in India, taking advantage of the incentives available under the Make in India campaign.
5. Consul General also visited the Lianyungang Port, and was given an overall briefing on its operations and pan Asia- Europe connectivity. It may be noted that Lianyungang is one of China’s strategic transportation hubs, which serves as the starting point of locomotive trains, which carry bulk goods all the way to Rotterdam in Europe, within two weeks. The route of the freight train connection spans across China, Central Asia all the way to Western Europe.
6. It may be noted that Lianyungang is one of the Eastern China’s leading transportation and strategic port and marine transportation hub, and also plays host to the Tianwan Nuclear Power facility.
13 April 2017
Enclosure : Select pics of the event