Consul General Prakash Gupta paid an official visit to Xuzhou (Jiangsu) from April 13- 14, 2017 and interacted with Mr. Xu Donghai, Vice Mayor of Xuzhou Municipal People’s Government to discuss ways and means to further deepen economic and cultural cooperation between India and Xuzhou.
2. During the meeting with Vice Mayor Xu Donghai, Consul General shared details of investment opportunities available to Xuzhou companies in India, as part of the Make in India initiative, and requested Xuzhou city leadership to encourage the three leading companies from Xuzhou, already having business interests in India to scale up their India investment plans. A proposal to organize an India Investment Forum along with an India Culture Week in November 2017 was also submitted to Xuzhou city leadership for consideration.
3. Earlier in the day, Consul General visited three leading companies from Xuzhou, each of which had investment plans for India. This included the Jinpeng Group, one of China’s leading manufacturers of electronic three wheelers and E- cars, which has already set up an electronic tri-wheeler manufacturing facility near Kolkata. Consul General called on Chairman of Jinpeng to invest in the E-cars market in India with a manufacturing facility at an appropriate location.
4. Separately, Consul General also visited Xuzhou Construction Machinery Group (XCMG), which has already planned a USD 200 million investment at a manufacturing facility near Chennai. The upcoming manufacturing facility is expected to produce dredgers, rollers, construction cranes and other construction equipment machinery, which XCMG had so far been exporting to the India market. Senior leadership of XCMG shared their project timeline, which includes completion of the manufacturing unit before end 2018 in Chennai.
5. In addition, Consul General also visited ZM- Besta Heavy Steel Structure Company, a steel, real estate and pre- fabricated housing development Group, which has executed a series of power projects for JSW, TATA, Reliance and other leading construction industry players in India. The group had developed project proposals to execute mass housing projects in India and shared with Consul General their detailed plans for investment in the Indian real estate/mass housing market.
5. In the afternoon of 14 April, Consul General also paid a visit to Xuzhou Medical University and met with its President. It may be noted that nearly 200 Indian students are pursuing medical studies at the Xuzhou Medical University (XMU). During the visit, Consul General interacted with a representative group of final year Indian medical students and listened to their suggestions on making improvements in their interface with Medical Council of India.
7. It may be noted that Xuzhou, located at the northern tip of Jiangsu province, is one of the Eastern China’s leading economic and commercial hub. A series of economic, commercial and cultural events showcasing India having been planned for organization during the financial year 2017-18 in Xuzhou.
14 April 2017
Enslosure : Select pics of the event